Thursday, December 17, 2009

Shake, Rattle, & Roll

Last night I finally got to bed before midnight. I was so proud of myself, but when I woke this morning I find that I had missed an interesting late night adventure. Andy stayed up to watch a ball game, fell asleep in the living room and woke about 1:30am to our building MOVING! Yes I said MOVING! Portugal experienced a 6.3 earthquake early this morning- the largest in 40 years. It occured off the southern coast, so thankfully all we recieved was a good shake. The kids and I were a bit disappointed that we slept thtough it.

Dec 17, 2009
Quake shakes Portugal, Spain

MADRID - AN EARTHQUAKE measuring 6.3 on the Richter scale shook southern Spain and Portugal early on Thursday, Spain's seismological institute said.

There were no immediate reports of major damage or casualties.

The epicentre of the quake, which occurred at 2.37am (0137 GMT, 9.37am Singapore time) was in the Atlantic Ocean about 100km south-west of Cape St Vincent in Portugal and at a depth of 58km, the National Geographic Institute said.

The US Geological Survey measured the quake at 5.7 magnitude on its different moment magnitude scale. It said the quake struck at a shallow depth of 10km. -- AFP

2 comments:

  1. Let's get those out of the way before I get there. I remember the ones in Guatemala and the bad ones are no fun. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOw! I experienced plenty when we lived in San Francisco...kinda cool and freaky!

    ReplyDelete