Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Parenting an MK Is A Hard, Yet Rewarding Job

Today I had a parent meeting with Micah’s teacher and it really got me thinking. Moving overseas has required many sacrifices personally, but also for our family. My boys have given up the familiar, friends and so much more. Don’t get me wrong, they have adjusted better than we could ever have hoped for and for this we are truly thankful. However after this meeting, I began to think, “Would they be having difficulty in school if they were not having do adjust to all the challenges and changes that living cross-culturally brings?” Of course they would! The challenges would be different of course, but no matter where they are, life and school will bring challenges. (But it is still hard to see them go through them.)

My kids have had to figure out a lot on their own because we, as parents, did not understand things well ourselves. When you can’t even help your 8 year old with homework, it is very humbling. It is a hard for them to ever feel “normal” because they will always look and speak different. And at times I know they feel as if they are missing out on “normal” things in the States.

On the flip side, in just one short year, I have seen both our boys learn a new language, maneuver public transportation, make new friends (who don’t speak English), excel in soccer and become much more self-confident. I know that living over-seas will make them both better, well-rounded individuals with a much broader view of the world. They are learning to survive and thrive in the unfamiliar, thus gaining invaluable skills for life. Most importantly, they are seeing what it means to follow and be obedient to the Lord.

So, yes, our boys are facing challenges just as they would in the States, but they have the added experiences and benefits of a 2nd culture. We know why we are here and we trust that He will protect, guide, direct, and use our boys all for His glory.

4 comments:

  1. You are totally right, but who is to say what is "normal". It all depends on where you are. The boys will soar one day and it will in a large part be the teaching they got at home along with their lives in Portugal. Love those "chucks".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen!!!

    Still love that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard 'normal' is the setting on a dryer. So glad the boys are growing and doing well. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Living abroad will definitely be a big experience on your boys. However you learn so much and become so much more open minded! Look at how I turned out :) hahaha jk didn't want to scare you there! But yea, I can totally relate to your boys!

    ReplyDelete